Adverbial Clause adalah Clause (anak kalimat) yang berfungsi sebagai Adverb, yakni menerangkan kata kerja.
Adverbial Clause biasanya diklasifikasikan berdasarkan maksud dari Conjunction.
Jenis-jenis Adverbial Clause antara lain:
1. Clause of Time
Clause yang menunjukkan waktu. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti until, before, after, as soon as, as, once, etc.
· I stayed in the house until the rain stopped.
· You must study hard, before final test.
· Once he got the chance, he hit the big man in the head.
· As the man was waiting for his wife in front of the house, the child began crying.
· By the time I arrived, the child had already slept.
· As soon as the rain started, he stopped his car.
· The crocodile was killed by the people, after he wounded the baby.
2. Clause of Place
Clause yang menunjukkan tempat. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction seperti where, nowhere, anywhere, wherever, dll.
· Where there is a will, there is a way.
· Where there is poverty, there we find discontent and unrest.
· He said he was happy where he was.
· Iam always pray anywhere iam stay.
· Don’f forget me wherever you go.
· You may go wherever you like.
· Wherever you are, I’ll be able to find you.
· I’ll go where I can find true happiness.
3. Clause of Manner
Clause yang menunjukkan cara bagaimana suatu pekerjaan dilakukan atau peristiwa terjadi. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti as, how, like, in that, dll.
· Do as I ask you to do.
· The braggart talks as if he knew everything.
· He behaves as though he owned the place.
· How to mend a puncture.
· They may beat us again, like they did in 1947.
4. Clause of Contrast (or Concession)
Clause yang menunjukkan adanya pertentangan antara dua kejadian atau peristiwa yang saling berhubungan. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunction (kata penghubung) seperti although, though, even though, whereas, even if,, as the time, dll.
· Ridho He is still poor although he has worked so hard.
· As the time you were sleeping, we were working hard.
· Even though I don’t have much money, I will try to help him.
· Ferry wanted to stop, whereas I wanted to go on.
· He is very friendly, even if he is a diligent student.
5. Clause of Purpose and Result
Clause yang menunjukkan hubungan maksud/tujuan dan hasil. Dan biasanya menggunakan conjuction seperti (in order) that, so that, in the hope that, to the end that, in case, dll.
· She bought a book so (that) she could read.
· I am working night and day in the hope that I can the richman..
· Felix takes a computer lesson in order that she can get a job easily.
· People eat nutritious food so that they will keep healthy.
· She puts the milk in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t spoil.
6. Clause of Cause and Effect
Clause yang menunjukkan hubungan sebab dan akibat.
- Ronaldo ran so fast that he broke the previous speed record.
- It was so cold yesterday that I didn't want to swim.
- The soup tastes so good that everyone will ask for more.
- The student had behaved so badly that he was dismissed from the class room.
- Ryan not study hard and then the final test he got a bad score.
- Sudibya had so many children that they formed their own football team.
- I had so little job offers that it wasn't difficult to select one.
- Arshadyn has invested so much money in the project that he can’t abandon it now.
- The grass received so little water that it turned brown in the heat.
- It was such a cold day that we decided to stay in the house. Or It was cold a day that we decided to stay in the house.
- It was such an interesting comic that he couldn't put it down. Or It was so interesting a comic that he couldn't put it down.
- She has such exceptional abilities that everyone is jealous of her.
- They are such beautiful pictures that everybody will want one.
- Perry has had such bad luck that he's decided not to gamble.
- This is such difficult homework that I will never finish it.
Di samping itu, untuk mengungkapkan hubungan cause and effect atau(sebab dan akibat) dapat digunakan pola lain, yaitu:
1. Used the preposition seperti because of, due to, due to the fact that, dll
- Because of the universal people used the English language, we must learn the English.
- Due to the English important for all people, we learn the English.
- Due to the fact that everybody needs to learn English to great the global era.
2. Used the conjunction an examples : because, since, now, so, but ,...etc
- Because he was boring, he went to a musement.
- The pamardian hing school built since 1965.
- Now 1 want to study hard!
- The dog bit the hunter’s leg so the hunter missed the shoot.
- I want to holiday on the weekend but I’m don’t have money.
3. Used the transition words seperti therefore, consequently.
- Roma failed the interview because he didn't study hard..
- Roma didn't study hard, Therefore, he failed the interview.
- Roma didn't study. Consequently, he failed the interview.
7. Clause of Condition
Clause yang menunjukkan adanya persyaratan antara dua kejadian (peristiwa) yang berhubungan. Biasanya dibuat dengan menggunakan conjunctions seperti if, even if, unless, , in case, if only, condition (that), suppose (that), dll.
- If I have a money, I want to shopping in the mall.
- He would forgive his wife everything, if only she would come back to his.
- Suppose (that) your apartment burns down, do you have enough insurance to cover such a loss.
- Even if the accident of plane not happened, my son not was died.
- In case a robberyhappen in the hotel, the management must be notified at once.
- The company will agree to arbitration on condition (that) the strike is called off at once.
8. Clausa of Reason
Clausa yang menunjukan alas an mengenai suatu hal, biasanya menggunakan conjuction as, since, because, dll.
· Rivan doesn’t go to school because she is sick.
· Since it’s raining so heavily, I can’t go out.
· As I wasn’t there, I didn’t know what had happened.
· Because you get
Kristono, D cahyono Kristiawan, Purnama Eka, Tupan Albert, Kastaredja Suhanto.2006.THE BRIDGE ENGLISH COMPETENCE.Jakarta.Yudhistira.
Sudarwati Th. M, 2006. LOOK AHEAD An English Course.Jakarta. Erlangga.
Buku catatan SMA
Buku catatan SMA